Home Businesses

The provision for a home business is in recognition of the needs of many people who are engaged in small-scale business ventures which cannot be expanded to a full-scale enterprise. It is the intent of this section that full-scale commercial or professional operations, which would ordinarily be conducted in a commercial or industrial district, continue to be conducted in the appropriate zoning district and not a dwelling. These regulations apply to family day care businesses.

Home Business Regulations

1. A home occupation business may have one sign not to exceed two square feet in area.  The sign must be installed flat against the dwelling or located no further than 4 feet from the foundation of the house.  All permanent signs are required to be permitted by the City of Sandy.

2. No outside storage of materials (other than plant materials) is allowed at a home occupation business site.

3. All home occupation businesses are required to obtain a valid city business license.

4. Home occupation businesses may have no more than one non-resident employee working on the site.

5. The business site must retain the characteristics of a residence.

6. Use does not destroy the residential character of the neighborhood.

Complaint Procedures

1. Complaints on Items 1 through 4 will be handled routinely by the Planning Director.

2. Complaints on Items 5 and 6 will be dealt with as follows:

a) Upon receipt of three written complaints specifically stating the nature of the objection from three separate households located within three hundred feet of the boundary of the affected property, the Planning Director shall:

1) Investigate the complaints

2) Prepare a report to the Planning Commission

3) Schedule a public hearing before the Planning Commission to make a decision on the validity of the complaint.

3. Standards evaluating complaints shall include:

a) Generation of excessive traffic;

b) Monopoly of on-street parking spaces;

c) Frequent deliveries and pickups by motor freight;

d) Noise in excess of that created by normal residential use (either in terms of volume or hours of occurrence);

e) Smoke, fumes, or odors in excess of those created by normal residential use;

f) Other offensive activities not in harmony with a residential neighborhood.

4. Planning Commission Action. The Planning Commission, upon hearing the evidence may:

a) Approve the use as it exists;

b) Require the use to be terminated;

c) Impose appropriate restriction, such as limiting hours of operation, establishing a phase-out period or other measures insuring compatibility with the neighborhood.